Come original you got to come original
I had a request from a friend to do the topic of “Common Decency” today, and she sent me a boatload of questions. Hopefully this onslaught of questions will provide a narrative as to why she asked for today’s topic to be “Common Decency.” So thanks this week go to A to the Arp, the wife and some other guy. Onto the questions.
1. Where do you see the biggest deterioration in common decency from when you were a kid 'til now?
I would have to say the Internet… and I would say that I define being a kid as being 18, because that is when I started doing stuff online with the gopher systems and bulletin boards.
2. What are your pet peeves around common decency? (I get irked when people dress too casually for the "event" i.e. wearing your Chargers jersey and tattered jeans to a Broadway (albeit touring) show.)
Firstly, your problem should be with the jersey in question and not the overall behavior. The Chargers? I don’t care if you live in the city hall of San Diego, wearing a Chargers jersey in public is breaking some kind of decency laws in civilized society (unless of course your name is Natrone Means… yeah, I went old skool.) Secondly, the jersey and the jeans are not really an issue if it is a matinee, if it is an evening performance, well… wear a real shirt and some nice pants.
3. Are there common decency issues that bug you now that you have kids that didn't before kids or that maybe even you were guilty of before kids?
Not that I can think of… I am sure there are. Let me ask my arbiter of good taste… the wife says that cursing bothers me a fuck-ton more than it used too.
4. Have you noticed regional difference in levels of common decency? (South to North for example?)
There is a certain level of politeness in different parts of the world, but politeness does not necessarily translate directly into common decency.
5. What common decency issue do you really not give a crap about (like wearing a jersey and jeans to a show) and really think people need to "get over it."
language… they are just words and have no effect… as long as the language is not a racial epithet then who the fuck gives a good goddamn about what shit I say?
6. Did you learn common decency by example and who or what was your example, or did you learn it through trial and error?
I think most people learn by example as to what is common decency… It is all based on the cultural mores of the area one is in.
7. What do you think influences our acceptance levels of what is/is not commonly decent?
Common decency is a living and breathing system. For example, what is considered decency today would have been scandalous not too long ago, and what we consider scandalous now will be considered blasé in the years to come.
8. And part II is that a truth or a cop out? (Like if the media influences it or is that we allow ourselves to be inappropriately influenced by the media?)
Common decency is something that changes over time. My marriage (interracial marriage)was considered indecent in the US not that long ago, and in certain places and amongst certain people it is considered indecent currently. Sure the people who consider my marriage are intolerant racist bastards, but to them I am the one being indecent.
9. Who are the least/most commonly decent people you know?
It is interesting how you framed this question because it does often happen that people are at once very decent and wildly indecent at the same time.
10. With your kids, is it do as I say or do as I do when it comes to common decency.
More of a do as I do than as I say. I try not to talk shit that I am not willing to do myself.
11. When did you notice a decline in common decency (assuming you have)?
I think every generation bemoans the loss of common decency with these darn kids. I would say, in that vein, the dawn of humanity would be when that started.
12. Where would you like to see a return to higher levels of common decency?
On the internet, and I think that is starting to happen. The Internet, for it’s infancy, was the playground for the people who lived on it. The people there could do what they wanted with no repercussions IRL. But the real world is now encroaching on the digital world and people are starting to adjust to that. Anonymous comments are starting to be not so anonymous anymore and the hateful nasty things people say online are now starting to come back to haunt them.
13. With the increase of surveillance do you expect to see a rise or decline of common decency?
It will stay the same, our lines of what we consider to be “common decency” will shift.
14. Common Decency sounds like a rapper's name... What is his style?
Common Decency has slick rhymes over an understated beat.
15. What's the difference between common decency and common courtesy?
Decency has to do with decorum and courtesy has to do with actions towards others. One can lack common decency and show common courtesy and vice versa.
16. Some airlines have a placard in their airplane lavatories that states something like "As a courtesy, please dry out the sink after use." I fly a lot, what of it?
I have no idea why one would need to dry out a sink when others are just going to wash their hands in it... What do they expect people to need a dry sink? I shudder at the idea...
17. What do you think will be the last vestige of common decency?
I don't think there will ever be a necessity for a last vestige. Common decency will just evolve.
18. Why do you think common decency changes over time?
Because each generation pushes boundaries.
19. What is the difference between common decency and morality?
That is a great question... I honestly do not know how to answer it. Morality seems like an overall sense of right and wrong, and common decency is more about politeness? Anyone?
20. Common decency would demand that you post your posts prior to 10:30 pm EST.
My allergies were crazy stirred up yesterday and today
My bet is that my old friend leaf mold has paid a visit
I missed work today
Well, I wouldn't say that I "missed" it
Got some non-work work done
I am now actively ignoring my wife to get this thing posted
Looks like I should format this thing and get it posted
I know which side of my bread is buttered
Have a great week