THe kids’ first day of school for the 2015-2016 school year is tomorrow, which seems incredibly early to me, but I am old and crotchety and remember when I had to walk to school uphill in the 100 degree weather with no shade, blah blah blah. Anyway… it seems like the first day of school is getting earlier and earlier. The kids were doing their homework packets that were sent with them at the end of last year. They started them this evening like all right thinking people would. Our youngest tuckered out before she got finished with her stuff, but she gave it the good college try. I am a bit worried that she did not retain any of the information from one page to the next. She is like that though… and by that I mean 7.
Thanks this week go to pfmdesigner, lsig, the lovely wife, and some other guy. onto the questions:
1. By reducing the speed limit within a "school zone" to 25 mph, aren't we just nudging evolution toward slower, less-agile people?
Nope, fast food is doing that. the 25 mph limit is a symptom, not the problem
2. How cool would it be if adults got to take two months off every summer, and then start the new work year with a promotion?
I. Would. Love. That.
3. Crayola 64 box, or 48 box?
Gallon bag of broken crayons… I don’t live by your bivariate world. My logic is fuzzy goddamnit!
4. For you, which was more traumatic, your first day of elementary school or first day of high school?
First day of middle school. I switched from one school system to another between 6th and 7th grade. I went from knowing everyone to knowing about 10 people, and 7th graders are not known to be very easy going and forgiving of differences. Again, I reject your bivariate question because my world is muti-variate...
5. What would be the cruelest joke to play on your own kid on his/her first day of school?
Lots and lots of hugs and kisses. Little Man is now firmly 12 and does not like the affection from parents.
6. Do you remember your first day of school?
7. Are the kids looking forward to school, dreading it, or some combination thereof?
I think the kids are looking forward to about 3 weeks of school, and then going back to their summer schedules. They miss their friends and want to see them, but I think the daily rigor of school will wear on them.
8. Best part of the first day of school for kids? For parents?
Kids: seeing their friends and jibber-jabbing about what they did over the summer
Parents: getting the kids out of the house so they can start up the heroine habit again
9. Are your kids already planning first-day wardrobe or do they care?
Their mother and I have gotten them to care about their wardrobe.
10. School lunches or pack?
My kids? Pack. Every. Day. ugh….
Me: School lunch until high school when I stopped eating lunch at all.
11. Are the kids happy about their class assignments?
Little Man is unhappy about his class because he is not in class with most of his friends. This may be a good thing because he might find some other people to become friends with.
Q is neither happy or unhappy about her class.
12. What is your favorite school supply?
I always loved the plastic rulers and protractors that we used. I always like to have a straight edge around.
13. Were you a walker, a bus-rider, or single commuter to school?
Yes… I walked to elementary, I rode the bus to middle school and jr. high, and I rode with my friend Dr B-Dawg in high school.
14. Did you have any good mascots in your schooling?
hmmm… Cougars, Indians, Huskies, and Golden Flashes… noper
15. When did you start changing classes in school where your classes were intermixed with others?
I think it was in fifth grade. We had two levels of math and I think science that we separated into. Further separation and intermingling continued from that point.
16. So first days are interesting. Are first days of work different than first days of work?
Yep. School there is a bit of an expectation, but workplaces can vary so greatly. Some first days are celebrations, and some are more forgettable, and then there are some you WANT to forget.
17. What does it feel like to be the only black child on the first day of school… 12 years in a row…. Oh, wait. You don’t know what that feels like, Whitey McWhiterson.
Ummm… uh… NEXT!
18. First day of school?
Yep, tomorrow. Is that really a question?
19. Where was your first day of school ever? Where was your last day of school?
First: Chalkville Elementary School for my kindergarten
Last: My home office for the online courses at Kent State… I am done with school
20. Compare and contrast school vs training.
School is learning basic information that will lead you to a well rounded knowledge base that will help you to be a productive member of society. Training is a set of curricula for a specific task or function.
The arm is a broke ass arm
The Ortho said that it was a “micro-hairline fracture”
The “best kind of bone break you can have”
The M-i-L is now home from the hospital
So, she is at least doing that much better
I think the wife and I are more nervous for the kiddos than the kiddos are
Here is my sketch of Cobra PR from the Cobra Commander interview
It is late and I need to get to sleep
Have a great week