Yesterday my car decided to stop itself as I exited the interstate to get to work. I was driving, heard a ‘clunk’ and then the dashboard lights went crazy and then the car decided to turn itself off as I turned onto the surface street. I was lucky enough to get to the side of the road and get my hazards on. 20 minutes later and I am getting a lift from the tow-truck to work (I was less than a quarter mile from work when the car died, and I knew that today’s topic needed to be “breakdowns.”
1. If "break downs" suck, why do "breakups" suck, too? Isn't that moving in the opposite direction?
I think it has to be the fact that something breaks in a break down and a break up. Breakdowns typically involve a degradation of some kind, whereas breakups often become volatile.
2. How does a breakdown lead to a break up?
Well in a relationship both sides have to be working, when one side breaks down, the other side can only continue on for so long. Eventually without changes to the broken down side, the non broken down side of the relationship will break up.
3. What is your favorite example of a character breaking down on a television show?
Hmmm… I would love to see an episode where MacGyver realizes that he has killed all of his friends, but I cannot think of a breakdown of someone on screen at the moment.
4. Have you ever stopped on the road to help a stranger whose car has broken down?
I did once. The person needed help changing a tire.
5. I've called AAA to change my tire. It's not that I couldn't do it myself, but I've paid for the service so I want to get my money's worth. Would you call AAA to change your tire, or are you saying you're more of a man than I am?
I would not call AAA (American Automotive Association for my non-US-centric friends) to change my tire, not because I am amazingly more manly than you (which I am) but because my time is more scarce than yours. I would not be willing to wait 20 to 30 minutes for the AAA to show up. I understand wanting to get your money out of it, but my time is worth more than the sunk expense.
6. This year's election issues: break them down for me.
Republicans: trying to force things as far to the right as they can because it has worked for them in congressional races.
Democrats: Bernie is considered a long-term Washington outsider and brings the strengths and weaknesses of an outsider to the table
Hillary is considered a long-term Washington insider and brings the strengths and weaknesses of an insider to the table.
Republican v Democrat: republicans are holding on with a death grip to an out-dated model and the past is really clear. The democrats are having a bit of trouble moving forward because they are looking to change the model and the future is unclear.
7. Back when you were dating, did you ever use the "car broke down" excuse?
Nope, I only dated in high school and college. I had other excuses that I could use then.
8. Break down the Panthers loss in Superbowl L (I refuse to break with tradition and not use Roman Numerals)?
Well, I did not watch the Superb Owl, but from what I can glean, the Panthers blew out the competition in the previous rounds of the playoffs and the law of averages hit them squarely in the previous over-performing. That and they got knocked on the heels early by the Denver D which threw off their rhythm. And let’s not be afraid of Arabic numerals and seek comfort in Western Roman numbering systems. 50. see? it was easy
9. Break it down for me fellas?
Your best friend Harry had a brother Larry
In five days from now he’s gonna marry
10. So… what happened with the car?
It is an old car that we are going to be replacing soon and a sensor that is on the steering column that does something or other stopped sending data to the car’s computer and the car decided that it should not be moving. A combination of the sensor overheating and being jostled around caused a catastrophic failure. Catastrophic I say!
11. So, what’s all this about Matt Leblanc and his nervous breakdown after Friends?
How could he not. He was the only one who went into a spin-off that he now had to carry instead of being part of an ensemble. He had been made into sometimes little more than a mouth breathing ape-boy who could seduce any woman on the show and somehow he was somehow supposed to carry a show on THAT character? I would break down too. Plus, he was smoking like a chimney at the time. Nicotine doesn’t help that stuff at all. But supposedly that never happened
12. Why do they call it a “breakdown” when they go in and analyse something?
Because they are attempting to take something to its most basic parts, by breaking down the fundamental pieces of the thing and looking at how it was constructed. For example, the breakdown for an incomplete pass could be reveal poor footwork by the passer.
13. What is the enzyme that breaks down alcohol?
alcohol dehydrogenase, why do you ask?
14. Shakedown, Breakdown, Takedown, You’re Busted...
What are you busted on?
I would default to cocaine, white lines, nose candy, blow, nose candy, powder, Charlie Sniff Sniff, the Can-I-talk-to-You-About-My-Screenplay-Drug
15. Why does the breakdown work in hardcore songs?
It changes the pace and gives the vocals a break. It also is a time to highlight the parts of the song that maintain the tempo, such as drums, bass, and rhythm guitar. It is analogous to the bridge in R&B.
16. Did you see 1997’s Breakdown starring Kurt Russell?
No, which is surprising because at that time I was unencumbered by kids and could have gone to the movies with relative ease.
17. When was the last time you have ever broken down and unreservedly cried?
Hmmm… I think it was a couple of months ago. The wife was out of town and I did not get a job that would have been absolutely amazing… after 4 interviews and around 6 hours of face to face time. I am tearing up right now just thinking about it (not really). I had my hopes up and was emotionally counting chickens when all I had was a basket of eggs that had not been incubated.
18. Are you going to have a breakdown if you don’t get 20 questions?
Nope, I just won’t post for the week. simple… there are many weeks I do not post.
19. Where is the worst place to break down (in any sense)?
Hmmm… I am going to go with 7th Grade gym class
20. Will break dancing come back in 2016?
Break dancing never really left. It evolved and now you will see pieces and parts of it in dubstep, krunk, and even some bone-breaking… why do I know this?
It looks like it is time for us to get rid of the Jetta and bring in a mini-van
We both fought hard against it for a long time
We got a small SUV to stave off the minivan needs for a while
And I am surprised at how much I trouble I am having letting go of my 13 year old car
But it must go
Don’t want to start up a car payment again either
Car payments suck
I need to paint my office a better color
It is dreary in here.
I have a couple more interviews going right now
Let me know if any of you readers want to be interviewed
The wife has a new bidness facing website... you wonder what she does? wonder no more and soak in her awesomeness
That’s all I have today
Have a great week everyone