Last week I was on the Vacation. Super vacation time. We visited the Outer Banks in North Carolina and got back home Sunday at 6 pm. Back to work on Monday morning wherein I realize that post vacation fall out is a real thing. Not only do you have to get the motivation to get up at a reasonable hour you also have to wade through the detritus that builds up in your digital inbox over the course of a week, you also have to be ready to interact with co-workers in a manner that is professional. So… let’s answer some questions about this delightful topic.
1. Did you come with the same number of humans with which you left?
Purely from the numbers game, I left on my singular own and met up four other people… We had 2 cars so I came home with 3 more people than I left with and the other person came home on their own.
2. Did you come home with the same humans with which you left?
I came home with extra.
3. The hip-bump-the-daughter-into-the-pool was capital H “ilarious!” Do you think she’ll remember it when you’re on life support and the doctors ask her the plug questioni?
I can only hope so. Since we planned the whole thing. She knows not to just hang out at the edge of a pool like an idiot. I have taught here some things. This was staged because we were having fun with slo-mo videos on our iPhones. Slo-Mo is the best mo, yo.
4. As a family, how do pass the hours in the car?
Audible books and drugging the kids with dramamine so they sleep.
6. How many emails did you come back to in your inbox? How many are actually important?
Not as many as I thought there would be. There were about 75-ish, of which 5 were useful.
7. How long does it take you to get unpacked? Do you do it immediately or does the half-empty suitcase linger in your basement for a week? (sigh)
We will be completely unpacked by Wednesday... or Saturday, mainly because we need some of the stuff that is packed.
8. Do vacations renew your zest for your daily activities, or do they make coming back even worse by comparison? (sigh)
A little of column a, and a little of column b. Vacations can be great breaks from the daily life. It is sometimes difficult to re-insert into the daily life. That being said, after dragging my butt to work on Monday, I felt pretty ready and invested in the work again.
9. Do you have other vacations planned already?
Yes. We are doing an Alaska adventure vacation in July where we will get to see fjords, glaciers, and Denali.
10. Did you bring me anything?
I did not bring you anything. Do you need something? To be truthful, I did not bring me anything either.
11. Do you cut vacation one day short so you have a “recuperation day” before back to work?
Nope. Got in Sunday at 6pm, back to work Monday at 8:47am.
12. Post vacation, rejuvenated or spent?
Rejuvenated… about the second day back.
13. How many days is your ideal vacation?
It depends on where and the what. Outer Banks beach vacation? About 6 days. In the mountains? I could go for 9 days or so.
14. Like me do you “overindulge” on vacation ‘cuz “it’s vacation!”
You know it.
15. How long until you feel “normal” again back at work?
2 days… maybe 3
16. What is the first thing you do when you get home from a vacation?
Typically, I pee.
17. What do you miss the most when you get home for a vacation?
I think* I miss the sleeping in.
18. What is the most surprising thing you find about coming back home?
Regardless of the bed slept in over vacation, just how comfortable my own bed is.
19. Is it difficult for the kids to re-integrate into the home routine?
Somewhat. Little Man is trying to recapture all the “SR” on the competitive boards for Overwatch that he lost while being gone for a week. We are not going to let him know that if we can take a Vitamix blender we could also pack and Xbox OneQ is having some issues getting back into non-vacation life. She is a bit lost at the moment. I imagine she will be good to by tomorrow.
20. Did you get any souvenirs from this trip?
*in this case “think” means “I know for an incontrovertible fact”
The necromancer is live now in Diablo 3…
I guess I know what I’m doing tonight
Going to get into another Great British Bake-Off episode tonight
So happy to get Series 4 going on here in the states
Don’t know why it has taken so long to get this going
Looks like the youngest will be getting braces
We are starting down the trail of orthodonture
Finally saw Wonder Woman
I am glad that so many people found that movie transcendent
I will leave it at that
I need a haircut
Getting a little unkempt
Only looks tamed when I have sunglasses pulled up on top of my head like a headband
Maybe I should just start wearing a headband?
Have a great week everyone