This year was the 3rd year in a row that the family went on a guided multi-sport camping trip. And for a few years more than that the family has gone on some other family vacations either to Maine or to the Outer Banksor North Carolina. So far all of these trips have been amazing in their own way and we, as a family, have been pretty darn happy about the experiences. That is why today the topic is all about Family Vacations.
Thanks this week go to Janna Bushaw, Jared Vorkavich, Sue Ryan, Bruce Finch, Erin Findsen, Kallie Kenyon, Linda Silverio, DrJHP, the Wife and some other guy for the questions. I love seeing some new names in this section.
Onto the questions!
1. Is it easier or harder to parent on vacation?
I think it is somewhat easier because the normal distractions are not there, or if they are they are only there in a diminished capacity.
2. One room or adjoining rooms when on vacation?
Since there are only 4 of us, single room with 2 beds if we are staying in a place that goes by room. Lately, our trips have been either to a house we rent in the Outer Banks or in tents, so adjoining rooms are not really a thing.
3. What is your most memorable family vacation from when you were a kid? And as an adult?
As a kid was a whirlwind trip to Colorado. My brother went to tour the Air Force Academy and we also got to see a big swath of Colorado. It was pretty amazing as a kid and started out my love for the mountains. As an adult, the trip to the Redwoods with Backroads was simply majestic.
4. What's the most family friendly vacation?
I think I would have to say the Disney properties off-hand. They really are very accommodating to any different needs you might have whilst there, but it comes with a steep price tag.
5. Family vacation: educational vs. fun?
The fun stuff can be educational, and the educational can be fun. I would say that a good family vacation has to have aspects of both. This is really not an either or question.
6. Worst family vacation ever (as an adult &/or as a kid)?
Hmmm…. As a kid we did not do many family vacations. We visited grandparents a boatload, but those are not really vacations. No one wants to go to Stow, Ohio for spring break.
7. When driving on a family vacation, drive all night or during the daytime?
When the kids were reeeeeeally young we would Benadryl them up and head out on the road around bedtime and drive as far as we could, but now that they are older driving during the day works great. It is amazing how just a couple of years extends the concept of delayed gratification just enough to put up with a long drive.
8. What did you learn from family vacations as a kid (good or bad) that you either embrace or avoid when taking your kids on vacation?
Visiting family is not a vacation. It may be a component of a vacation, but it is not a vacation on its own.
9. What has changed about your family vacations now that your kids are older?
One is traveling during the day, but also doing more active vacations. We would not go on a sea-kayaking event with sweet little tiny non-swimming babies.
10. When you only visit family and friends with no sightseeing is it really a vacation?
It is not a vacation. There is no way to dress up visiting family as a vacation. It can be a small part of a vacation, but it, in and of itself, is not a vacation.
11. Preferred mode of transport: plane, train, boat, or automobile?
Plane and auto. Not big on boats and have never done a long train trip.
12. Who gets to choose where to go and/or how is that choice made?
Parents choose with some input from the kids. But since the parents pay, the parents choose.
13. Theme park or not?
Maybe, depends on the cost and duration and park. That is al about the cost benefit ratio.
14. Weirdest thing you've ever done on vacation that you would never have done back in civilian life?
Half mile long zip line… that is not going to be part of my daily life… unless I could use it to get from one building to another at work.
15. Where would you never take your family on vacation?
Of the many vacation places? Hm…. I am not that interested in Asia, so I think we would not take much effort to go to Asia.
16: Is it really a family vacation if your kids are under 5?
Nope, you are simply going on a vacation with a bunch of baggage that takes a bunch of effort.
17. In Home Alone Kevin’s parent’s left him, but took the other kids. Is that still a “family vacation?”
I think so. Kevin was clearly the most expendable of the MacCallisters, and therefore unnecessary for a family vacation. "Home Alone?" you ask... Kids, ask your parents.
18. Is it possible to have a family “staycation” or is that only for a single member of the family when everyone else has left?
Oh, a staycation is never a vacation. Never. Ever.
19. For family vacations does it make more sense to have a strong itinerary and schedule of activities or to be all seat of the pants and laissez-faire?
I would say that prior to the vacation this needs to be determined. For the multi-sport vacations that we have done through different companies, having an itinerary is absolutely necessary. That being said, for the family vacations to the Outer Banks… that is supposed to be free and easy with no deadlines.
20. Where is your next family vacation going to be?
Most likely the Outer Banks… but I am not sure what the one after that will be. We typically have an annual plan for the Outer Banks in June. The last 3 years we have “made” a second multi-sport vacation happen in the late summer, but I am not sure we can make that happen 4 years in a row. If so… most likely Yellowstone or the Canadian Rockies.
I am quite tired
I do not sleep well when my wife is out of town
She is in the Canada right now whilst I am here
Tomorrow is going to come in really fast for me
I have about an hours worth of work to get done before tomorrow as well
And I have 2 dogs who are exhausted but not willing to stop
I am on question 16, question 17, question 10 and question 13 on the 4 interviews I have going currently
Backroads is the company that we used for the three canyons trip and for the Redwoods
Get Up & GO! Is who we used for the Alaska trip
I would recommend both outfits
Speaking of outfits… I need to do some laundry
Have a great week everyone