November 11th was Veteran’s Day here in the US. This holiday built off of Armistice Day which was associated with the 11th day of the 11th month and commemorated the ending of the War to End All Wars, World War I. Not so good with the titles/epithets for wars are we? Rhetorical question, the answer is not we are not. So I had today off from work and spent much of it running around getting groceries and working on a school report that needs to be finished by Thursday… It is not near where I want it to be, but that is besides the manner. So I had a Tuesday off from work… that is just plain odd. It is an odd time. If you take off Monday you can have a weirdly extreme weekend, that doesn’t feel extended weekendy. That is no fun.
So this week’s topic is “Odd Days Off.” Thanks this week go to Dr B Dawg, Chris Ring, and Some other guy. On to the questions:
1. What do companies make the floating holiday so nefarious? They offer it, but then they don't really want you to use it.
Most companies have altered that practice of the floating holiday to either be fixed on the Calendar (a la the day after Thanksgiving in the US) or those have become personal days that can be used at the employee’s discretion with prior approval.
2. So, do you only take off work on odd numbered days?
I take off work on any day that I can.
3. What is odds that you will take off a day of work for shopping in December?
Very little… I am a Amazon-o-phile… many a smiling package will be delivered to the house this December. What are the odds that I will take a “Mental Health Day” sometime in December? Very High
4. What is the oddest reason you have heard for missing work?
Drinking 5 pots of coffee in a five hour span… that guy went to the ER with heart palpitations… He floated there by vibrating.
5. What in the world happened to Carmen Sandiego? Is it true that she was just a drug mule throughout the 80's and 90's?
I had heard it was illegal arms and jewels. But it may have been for trafficking smack. I never found her. Found Waldo though… he was casing a mansion with a wizard and some chick who seriously over-identified with Waldo.
6. Grandma called them the case of "The Green Apple Splatters" (funny but not so funny) ever called off for that?
Please, son. I am gluten intolerant… I have called off merely for the gaseous chemical release much less anything in a liquid state. Oh, I have stayed home because of some gastro issues, and my family went to the mother-in-law’s for dinner.
7. Mental Health Day, Best day ever? or Suck it up crybaby?
Not quite the best day ever, but definitely worth while.
8. Odd day off used to be Ferris Bueller Day's Off, now it's Ferris has got to get some shit done around the house! When did that happen???
It all has to do with Mortgage and the responsibilities associated with that… but you are so right… Today I did not get lost in a pointalist painting by Suerat as much as I worked my tail off on getting dishes done while formatting Excel charts for a report.
9. Day that should be a Holiday?
My flipping birthday.
10. Odd day off ever backfire on you?
Of course, but you just have to roll with it. There is nothing that can be done with it after it happened.
11. If you could have walked into work today and yelled “Roadtrip,” where would the people at your work want to go?
I don’t know? They wouldn't be able to come to consensus, that’s for damn sure. We would spend 10 minutes arguing about where to go before most of us would peel off and go to our respective homes.
12. Should Voting Day be a Federal Holiday in the US?
Yes it should, but it should be the first Wednesday in November because it is much more difficult for people to just tack on a vacation day and make a “long weekend.” Most people will not take 2 days to make a crazy long vacation vs just taking 1 day to make a long weekend. 8 Hours doesn’t seem too bad compared to 16 for some reason.
13. Columbus Day?
Yeah… so not a good idea in hindsight. There tends to be only a few ethnicities these days that truly celebrate that day.
14. So there are no US Federal Holidays in March, April, June. and August… what gives?
I know, seriously, right?!?! Gimme a day off in March or April at least. Two full months without officially sanctioned days off from work… ugh.
15. Is there something wrong with your chronological time clock?
That’s a negative, Ghostrider. The pattern is full.
16. What did you do for your lunch on your day off?
I made a gluten free focaccia bread pizza… it was pretty good… Kind of heavy though.
17. Have you ever just gotten up and gone on a road trip without pre-planning?
Nope, have to have at least the skeleton of a plan.
18. What would you have done today if the kids were home instead of in school?
First, weep uncontrollably for a minute and then go to Big Hero 6.
19. Anything at all fun today?
I took some time to finish up a Mister Miracle drawing.. et viola.. Those manacles ain’t gonna hold him.
He’s the Gee-Effin-Dee Master of Em-Effin Escape
20. So what do you have to look forward to on Wednesday?
Um… it already is Wednesday… Holy Crap! It is Late!
I have 30 formatted Excel charts
And a bitch ain’t one
There is indeed nothing wrong with my chronological time clock
That last statement is clearly debatable
You know in the chronological time clock circles
I need to craft some personas and get what will end up being a 10 page paper done by bed-time Wednesday
Then I need to start on the video editing
But we will be done with this final project by Monday of next week GOTTDAMNIT!
This thing needs to be put to be before Thanksgiving
And then… only 2 more classes until I am done with this degree
Anyone looking for a guy who is soon to have his MS in User Experience Design in the Columbus area?
I am willing to go to a new job now and start a new job while finishing up the degree
I should be able to post the commission map soon
It really did turn out nicely
Crap, I need to get this published and go to bed…
Have a great week everyone