Today is St Patrick’s Day. Is it a coincidence that the last post was an interview with a gentelman named “Patrick?” Yes, of course it was a coincidence, Patrick Beja is French. A day of revelry in the US for people who enjoy beer and would like an excuse to get shit-faced on crappy green-tinted beer. The St Patrick of celebration is not the St Patrick of history. History very rarely intersects wholly with legend and folklore. So tonight while you are eating your boxty and drinking your Irish blonde beer… remember that the history you know is never true. Truth is in the eye of the beholder… oooh, so deeep… It’s like I’m high, but I’m not
Thanks this week go to K, Dr B-Dawg, Chris Ring, and Nadolny for the questions. Here we go.
1. Does Clintonville (small area within Columbus, Ohio… Hello there non-Columbusites) still have a rat problem? Didn't St. Patrick fix that for Ireland? Have the moved to Worthington (Another Columbus area place name)?
You are thinking of the Pied Piper, not St Patrick. St Pat got rid of snakes.
2. At what age does one typically start resenting drunk people who celebrate St. Patrick's day? For me it was 42. Maybe earlier.
I think the age that I started hating on people celebrating St Patrick’s Day was around my mid-30’s. At that point I just wanted to nap.
3. Corn or Corned Beef?
Corned Beef hash for the win.
4. Food that should never be green, please list.
Meat, eggs, milk, bread, cheese, corn, bananas, and, seriously, meat. Green meat Will. Kill. You.
5. Is the popularity in the midwest for St Patricks Day more about a reason to party hard because of spring fever than celebrating all things Irish, although it provides a nice theme.
St Patrick’s Day celebrations are only excuses to drink that happens to have an Irish theme.
6. St "The Snake-Man" Patrick vs Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin, who wins?
Steve Irwin...He. Wrestled. Crocodiles…. Pretty sure he could take a cleric who forced the druids out of Ireland.
7. Is there a Kelli Green?
Google it for your damn-self. That being said, I do have a neighbor that goes by a variation of that spelling.
8. Does Columbus have any St. Pat parades?
It happened on Sunday, St Patrick’s Eve’s Eve.
9. Do you have a favorite Irish themed movie?
10. Wasn't St Patrick actually Scottish, adding to the list that all good Irish things are really Scottish?
Damn straight… He was a young Scottish lad who was abducted by Irish pirates. He escaped 6 years after being kidnapped and went back Scotland to enter the clergy and eventually went back to Ireland.
11. If St. Patrick drove all the snakes out of Ireland, where did they all go?
The sea…. would be my bet. In this case “snakes” equal “druids” and the “sea” equals “killed them dead”.
12. Jameson's or Bushmill's? (The real cause for the fighting in Ireland)
13. In a world where gluten isn't an issue, St. Paddy's drink of choice?
I love Irish Blonde Ales…. but I would love a nice Black and Tan with Guinness and Harp
14. ORANGE! The stripe on the Irish flag is ORANGE! As in, "Orange" you an idiot for saying it's red. Ok, not really a question nor directed at you, just a pet peeve of mine . . . carry on.
Really… someone thinks it is Red… I hate that person.
15. When you're on the treadmill Tuesday are you going to play a nice Celtic Reel, pretend you're in the St. Patrick's Day parade and wave to the crowds? It might make it more fun . . . just sayin'.
Nope…. I will be finishing up “Centurion,” a horrible movie of Rome v Picts… so… so… bad.
16. What is the lamest holiday? St. Patrick's seems like a pretty lame one, although the alcohol component surely raises it above lame status.
17. I drove all the snakes out of Ireland and all I got was this lousy t-shirt...
Actually… that’s on you, man. that’s on you. I haven’t even been to Ireland and I have more than a t-shirt from there.
18. With the requirements to become a saint, it seems like modern technology/communications has made the verification process MUCH harder. Do you think we will have as many saints added in the future?
Most the Saints would not be saints with today’s scrutiny… so the verification will be significantly more tedious.
19. Your best guess as to the next saint. Not the specific person (unless you want), but the saint of what?
Saint DarkTuber69, the Patron Saint of Trolling
20. Green or orange?
That "or" should be "and."
Just put some down payments on a crazy awesome vacation for this summer
It will be epic
Happy St Patrick’s Day folks
I am only 6 weeks away from my newest degree
That will be a nice thing to complete
But that is just the beginning
Things are changing
Oh, yes, the things they are a-changin’
I ran over 12 miles last week on the cursed treadmill
I am already 4+ in this week with a treadmill session on tap for this evening
I hate that goddamned thing
Treadmills can bite me
I hate them so
My hatred for the treadmill boils over causing me to despise most things
Don’t blame me, blame the treadmill
Have a great week everyone