Okay, I know that it is past the official beginning of Autumn, but the weather has finally caught up with our place in the orbit around the sun. It has gotten a little brisk as of late, and the leaves, they are a changin. The mornings are brisk and the afternoons are warm. There is a crispness and a small little bite, some might call it a nip, in the air.
So today I will answer 20 questions concerning the delightful topic of “Autumn.” Thanks go to Dr B Dawg, Chris Corrigan, Pat Francis, Doug Hills, Alesha, Bruce, and some other guy… On to the questions!
1. Any advice on the best way to hammer leaves so their color transfers to paper?
Rubber mallet, and you cover the leaves with wax paper. It works best with a weaker paper that will allow the carotins into the weave of the paper.
2. Favorite flavor of autumn - apple cider, pumpkin spice, pecan,...
Mulled apple cider… so good.
3. Do you tend to carve pumpkins as scary, funny, or traditional?
Yes… a little of column a, column b, and column c.
4. When was your last good roll in a pile of leaves?
I was 10.
5. Favorite fall activity?
Staring at the gorgeous cleansing power of fire...
6. How was your Thanksgiving?
My Canadian Thanksgiving was great. My US Thanksgiving will be great.
7. With a chill in the air which do you prefer… a sweater or a jacket?
Jacket. Sweaters are harder to get out of.
8. Rake leaves or shoveling snow which do you enjoy most?
I am allergic to leaf mold, so snow all the way.
9. Hot Chocolate… with or without marshmallows?
With marshmallows… however if you add whipped cream to non-marshmallowy hot chocolate, I choose that.
10. Are you affected by autumn-related allergies?
Leaf mold is my bane.
11. So any thoughts on spring/autumn relationships?
As long as no one is using the other in an un-fair way, I find no issue with them. The problem comes when there is a fairness differential or there is a lack of fairness associated with the expectations for the relationship. (For example, if there is some gold hunting for inheritance, or trophy/sex-toy reasons happening, that would be bad.)
12. Are you an autumn color type? Do rusts and browns work for you?
As long as I stay away from yellows and stay in the rustier or orange colors, I do pretty well with an autumnal color scheme, but I would not say that I am an Autumn color type.
13. Do you even Halloween, bro?
Not especially. The kids tend to get dressed up, but we don’t decorate the house or play spooky music, but the kids get candy and all of that.
14. Favorite thing about Autumn ? – for me it’s sweaters and pie
The chillness in the air, but pie is a close second.
15. Girls named Autumn, know any? Is she “an Autumn”? The Autumn I know is a lovely blonde – much more a “Spring” than an “Autumn”
I grew up with a girl named April in the first elementary school I went to and there was a girl named Summer at my church. I did not know any girl named Autumn personally.
16.Pie! Pumpkin, Apple, and Mom’s homemade pecan – have never had another pecan pie like my mom’s. Do you like pecan pie? Most people make it too gelatinous… mom’s had very little gel and LOTS of nuts
I am not a fan of pecan pie. My childhood home did have two pecan trees though and in the fall I was known to shell some pecans and eat them.
17. Leaves turning – one of the things I dislike about southern cal is that we have very little color changing… unless you count the drought – but that’s just turning stuff brown. Can you ship autumn leaves to southern cal? Will they survive the transport?
You can press a leaf in a book… I cannot see why you couldn’t then transport said book. It would get rather cumbersome to ship a bunch, but one would not be a problem.
18. Spiders! I love spiders (really, I do) Do you? Spiders are abundant in the autumn (they like fallen leaves) What’s your favorite spider? I am partial to the funnel web weaver and the wolf spider. I like funnels because of their waaaaaay cool webs. I like the wolf because they carry their babies piggy back. I’m full of lots o’spider facts. Ask me something.
I… I don’t even… I’m not sure we can be friends anymore.
19. Orange October! Who’s your pick for the World Series? I’m BeliEven! Go Giants! They won in 2014 and I was in the hotel room in Kent trying not to cheer so loud that the guest on the other side of the way too thin wall was awaken. Does it suck that games don’t start until almost 9 PM Eastern? 6 PM Pacific makes me stay up past my bedtime.
I am trying hard not to go with the underdog card and call it for the Cubs. The Cubbies are still looking really strong and their pitching is sharp. The problem is that it is hard to go against the Giants on an even year. Odd years, you can go against the Giants, but evens? That is a different story. It could go either way. No pick from me. As to the timing of the games... I haven't watched baseball in nearly 20 years, so it could be on at 3 in the morning and I would not care.
20. For all the Floridians transplanted north ... Why oh why do all the trees have to die?
Everything dies, Timmy. Death is the only inevitability… and on that cheery note.
All my current interviews have stalled
All the people I have asked recently want to postpone a bit
This is the frustrating part of this blog
I enjoy the writing
I enjoy answering people’s questions
I really enjoy asking people questions
The format of asking questions is a really different format because it allows for there to be change over time
Buuuut… the format also allows for interviews to potentially die
I am doing what I can to keep this from dying
Anyone want me to do a 20 Questions with you?
Everyone is interesting for at least 20 Questions
Anyway… I had meetings and conference calls today
Got some good work done during those
Sometimes concerning the meetings I was in and sometimes in regards to other topics entirely
Bought a homeless dude lunch today
His name is Robert and he used to be a welder in Norfolk for Navy boats
Now he is homeless in Columbus, Ohio
I am not this soft every day, but today he got pasta with meatballs and some garlic bread
Have a great week everyone