Changes are afoot in my life at the moment. Yesterday was my first day in a completely different career. I have made the switch from doing GIS for a state agency to working in a UXD job in a large corporation. It is an interesting switch. I have walked away from 20 years of georeferencing data, and it felt weird to do that. New and exciting stuff going on here for me. Big changes to be exact. Therefore this week’s topic is “Change.”
Thanks this week go to theMikeStand, Ralph, Chris Ring, Nadolny, and pfmDesigner. Onto the questions!
1. Just in case nobody is as music-geeky as me, I must send you this. Maybe there's a question in there.
I believe the answer is... ummm... Blind Melon? Blind Melon only had one song,and it had the "Bee Girl" in it. You sire have gone too far down the Hoon rabbit hole...
2. What is the most change you can have in your pocket and not be able to make correct change for a dollar?
$1.19 in change. 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and 4 pennies.
3. veryone born before the age of card swiping has a loose change story, where they turned over couch cushions, scoured under car seats etc... to find that elusive change. What's yours?
It has to do with toll bridges and car seat cushions and cup holders. It happened in Pennsylvania and it was not pretty…. Why should I pay a toll road for crappy roads. Throwing shade at PenDOT... you know it
4. Hardest change you ever made?
This career change is a big one. It is a tie between getting rid of gluten and this career shift.
5. Easiest change you ever made?
It was soooo easy, I cannot remember it
6. Best change you ever made?
Focusing through the inherent racism in the culture I grew up in. That allowed me to woo, date, and marry my lovely wife. I cannot say that there isn’t any latent racism left in me, because we are culturally conditioned to be racist by the society we live within.
7. Bucket list change you've yet to make?
I don’t think I have a bucket list.. I might need to change that.
8. Afoot? What are you, Sherlock Holmes incarnate? Do you like the two new Sherlock inspired tv shows?
I love the BBC Sherlock, (in fact I am thinking of the musical hook from the show right now) but haven’t looked into the ABC Elementary. I have heard good things about it though.
9. Obama change zombie poster. Best thing ever?
There are better things
10. Do you skip through the radio stations constantly while driving, or do you have a station you are content to listen to most of the time?
Radio stations? I vaguely remember those… I think I listened to ray-dee-oh stations (did I pronounce that right?) last century. I constantly and consistently consume podcasts. (although not as much in the new job).
11. How many times a month do you have to explain to a cashier the proper change that is needed for a transaction (I'm at about twice a month)?
I rarely carry cash, so I rarely have to educate concerning coinage. With NFC, Chip and Card, and Wireless payment services, hard cash is not as necessary… are you a luddite?
12. If you could change into another animal, what would it be and why? No wallabees (I can't explain why, but it involved a horrible childhood trauma).
I wouldn’t first of all, but if forced to I would go with a bear. Bears are apex predators with very few natural enemies... and one step closer to the scariest thing ever, the Vampire Bear.
13. Do you “spit upon the children as the try to change their worlds”?
I have never phrased it thusly, but the change those damn kids want is too radical and can’t be done.
14. In your opinion, is it time to discontinue the penny?
15. Have you started planning for your mid-life crisis?
I think this career shift may be my weird midlife crisis. I want a Tesla Model 3 though
16. Do you ever see your life reaching a point where you think, “no more change”?
The only thing constant in life is that change is inevitable. Things cannot stay the same, so the point where I say “no more change” will occur right around the time that I am no more.
17. Without bothering you with the train of thought that made this question make sense to the proposed topic, do you like toe socks?
No… those are horrid.
18. How are you feeling about this change?
It is scary but going well. Yikes, it is daunting though
19. What is the biggest change between your last workplace and this new one?
Well… I am not completely acclimated to the new place, but I would say that this new environment is way more friendly.
20. What’s the next change you are going to make?
I have no idea, but I know it does not have anything to do with peanut butter.
No time to unformat all of these extra line breaks
Holy crap, I have a new job
It is a really interesting job
It’s downtown, so I need to get this parking sitch under control fast-like
My new health ins doesn’t kick in until 60 days though
COBRA for a month or two
Meetings for most of the day today
Veeery corporate meeting styles
I think they could use some meeting help
But where could they find affordable training on how to run effective meetings?
I also need to figure out this new schedule thing
I don’t get home until right around the time that the oldest has to get to his extracurriculars
Now, his extracurriculars are at horribly inconvenient times, but that is beside the point
Guess I need to find some good slow cooker recipes
I am willing to take suggestions
Keep in mind that everyone in the family either has dietary restrictions or very sensitive tastebuds
His name was Prince and he was funky
HIs name was Prince, the one and only
He did not come to funk around
Have a great week everyone