I could not think of a topical topic for today that was not super divisive, so I settled on the boring old non-divisive topic of food. No one has insanely strong opinions about food… right?
1. Are we really better off not knowing what goes into hot dogs, sausages and such?
Actually, no. I think it is necessary and useful to understand how the food you are eating comes to be. There needs to be more knowledge as to how and what goes into food so we, as consumers, can make informed decisions of what goes into our bodies.
2. Favorite local hot dog?
Dirty Frank’s Slappy Pappy’s Super Sloppy
3. Best place to eat a hot dog?
4. Favorite spice? (I will not accept a spice girl or Dune answer, flavoring type spices). Why?
Hmmm… spice? Going to go with peppercorn since salt is a seasoning and garlic is a vegetable.
5. Favorite Spice girl. See, separate question.
Oddly I am drawn to Ginger Spice and I have no idea why...
6. What food do you see frequently in TV shows?
TV shows really like spicy peppers.
7. Ever been to a food photo shoot? Why isn’t that your occupation?
Nope. And it would be a poor occupational choice because I am not a great photog
8. Desert island scenario. One basic food to make your meals from, which do you pick?
Either rice or corn or lentils.
9. Food spelled backwards is doof. Thoughts?
I have never thought about it. So a doofus is an idiot… would sufood be bad food?
10. Current trend to take pics of your food and post them, stupid, or meh, whatever?
It is a meh to whatever… I notice you did not have a “good” choice in your selections.
11. If Worthington could get a food cart downtown, what type of cuisine would you want it to serve?
Either BBQ or Tacos… it was great when Ray Ray’s Hog Pit was in the area instead of closer to campus.
12. Favorite JUNK food?
Mt Dew is my worse crutch, but it is a drink. Food? That is more difficult. I would say Nacho Cheese Doritos or Baked Cheetos.
13. Favorite HEALTH food?
I am finding myself enjoying some green juices… I need to make them more, but that is a drink. Blanched Broccoli.
14. Favorite food to prepare/cook/bake?
I don’t know if I have a fav. I really like broiled chicken thighs. They feel very satisfying. You can change the flavor profile while the base of the item is the same, but isis hard not to enjoy making meatloaf because the kids love it so much.
15. Food where you just say WTF?!
Anything cephalopodic… eight arms is never a reason to eat anything. Calamari, cuttlefish, and octopus are for wonder not for the munching
16. Zombie Apocalypse, Quick grab one can off the shelf, what do you grab?
17. Tell me more about that delicious thing you made for Easter.
Made Colcannon for Easter dinner. Specifically I made Tyler’s Ultimate Colcannon. Colcannon is boiled ham and cabbage mixed in with mashed potatoes, and it is filling and delightful.
18. What constitutes "comfort food" for you?
Food that I don’t have to cook? That is glib. That chicken that I mentioned earlier.
19. Sweet or salty snacks?
20. Do you have special foods you only get when you are just with Son or just with Daughter? Just with Wife?
There are restaurants that I will only go to with specific persons in the family, but my selection is not limited because of that. Mexican with Little Man, seafood with the girl, and Chinese with the wife.
21. My mom grew up near a family who ate their dinner in the morning and a light breakfast-type meal in the evening (lunch was the same, I presume). Would you like that system?
That sounds terrible. I hate getting up in the morning, so getting up in the morning to make a big meal sounds terrible.
22. What is a family tradition food you make?
My family growing up did not have very strong traditional meals, so my family now is trying to create some. The meatloaf is up there, and the fam seems to like my Mongolian Beef.
23. What are your favourite leftovers?
24. What dish would you love to master?
Dish? I think I would love to be able to throw together a cheesecake, but cheesecake is not a dish, it is a dessert. Dish? Let’s go with lasagna.
25. Strangest food every tried and liked?
Deep fried gator tail… it was deep fried, hard to mess up.
26.While sweetbreads is tasty, is it likely the biggest misnomer in food. Surely, several unwitting vegetarians have gotten quite the surprise.
The concept of them is quite off putting. I am sure some non meat eating people have been duped by the name.
27. So, Jeni's ice cream went straight from killing you softly with fat to downright cold-blooded killer with listeria. Has that changed your relationship with it at all?
Nope. Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams has been crazy proactive in their addressing the listeria issues. I still love me a salty caramel hot fudge sundae or (and this is the best way to have a root beer float) a root beer float with salty caramel.
28. What is your favorite pig-derived food product?
29. How many pig-derived products can you name?
Well… there are not terribly many pork products. Mainly there are pork cuts, but that is mainly just pork. So, 2. Bacon and pork.
30. Are you going to slow cook some brisket for Tuesday's birthday?
Not sure what is on book for the birthday dinner. Probably something beefy, but not sure what. Might end up being the home version of my Mongolian Beef.
30 Questions, bitches!
How do you like them apples?
Flanks steak, rice, broccoli, baked beans, asian noodle slaw, and sauted onions and mushrooms
That was dinner tonight
The baked beans and noodle salad were donated by the Mother-in-Law’s potluck from her work
She made them, and brought the leftovers home
We all contribute in our own ways
I cook rice, broccoli, flanks steak, and top that off with sauted onions and mushrooms
She brings some leftovers
You know, family and all that
Tomorrow is tacos
Thursday is moque choux
Friday is paella
Saturday I get to see Greg Behrendt in Cincinnati
Have a great week everyone