Last week we were on vacation… It was amazing. We went to Bryce Canyon, the Grand Canyon, and Zion for hiking and biking in the parks with Backroads. Backroads is great. It was the equivalent of a cruise on land. They cooked, cleaned, set-up, and broke-down camp so the fam and I did not have to. It was delightful. Anyway, this vacation made me realize that this week’s topic should be, well… “vacation.”
So without further ado… this week’s questions. Thanks to Lsig, Nadolny, Erin, Bruce, and Sandy for the questions.
1. Why do the Go-Gos do synchronized water skiing in their "Vacation" video? Do people do that on vacation? Ever?
You mean, you do not? Every vacation near a body of water ends up with a water skiing pyramid after a day or two.
2. How long is the ideal vacation?
9 days or so.
3. Which of your kids is the best traveler?
4. If money were no object, where would you travel to next?
5. I read a funny article at one time arguing that without kids, it's a "vacation," -- with kids, it's just a "trip." Agree or disagree?
Disagree. You can, indeed, have a vacation with kids. It does not have to be merely a trip.
6. Is it a vacation if u go to a cottage and have tons of projects to do?
7. National Lampoons vacation: One of the best movies ever? Best quote from the movie?
Does it really hold up? I have not watched it recently. It might now hold up, and if that is the case I would say “no.” If it does hold up, let’s call it a modern classic. Quote: “We’re from out of town.”
8. How bad were the vacation sequels?
Christmas Vacation wasn’t too bad, if I remember correctly (haven't seen it recently either), but European Vacation was terrible. I have not seen the newest one.
9. Which "ball of string" type attractions have u stopped at?
I don’t remember anything specifically, so I don’t think I have been to many, if any of the roadside attractions.
10. Been to Disney?
Yup, Disney World in Florida. Once as a kid and once as an adult with my own kiddos.
11. Should Ohio get a Disney?
Sure, why not? Not sure it could be a year round place though, and Disney isn't known to be only seasonal.... The cold doesn't bother me anyway.
12. In my family there are "vacation", "visits" and "trips". What makes the difference between these for you? (Or, what defines a vacation different than the other two?) When is a vacation with the family different than a trip?
I am not sure what the difference between “visits” and “trips” but I can tell you that there is a difference between a “trip/visit” and a “vacation.”
A “trip/visit” is something that is done by a family because of some level of requirement or obligation. In the end that trip/visit can be enjoyable, but it does not absolutely have to be.
A “vacation” is a chosen time that a family unit decides to travel for the sole purpose of some kind of enjoyment out.
13. Favorite ocean beach?
Ocean? Gonna go with Southern Shores in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.
14. Farthest from home you've gotten on a vacation?
15. Best vacation as a kid?
Gonna go with Colorado when I was a youngun.
16. Does a "stay-cation" count as a vacation?
Nope. Vacation has “vacate” as a root, which means “to leave.” You gotta go to have a vacation. Consider a "stay-cation
17. What did you do on your last vacation?
We went to the aforementioned Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, and Zion.
18. What is your "dream" vacation? - provided the money & time, what would you do? where would you go?
Something in the mountains with a sous chef who does the dishes.
19. “Vacay?” Yes or no?
Sadly I have used it, so “Yes,” but it should be a “No.”
20. Next vacation?
Not sure. We need to get our finances in order and try to do something this upcoming summer.
I am exhausted
Home Monday morning at 2am
Finally asleep by 2:30
At work by 8:30
Showered and shaved and ready to go
Except I was dragging because I was soooo tired
Dragging today as well
I need to gets some sleep tonight
Got a couple of interviews a going right now
Yep, right now
Even as I type this
Getting the kids some dinner because the stove is done broke
Girl wants wings and the boy wants New York style pizza
Stupid stove being done broke
Little Man starts up his schooling tomorrow
Have a great week everyone