Can I write a post about the Olympics? Will the IOC shut this down? I mean, the event is over, I cannot be detracting from it. Fair Use should come to play here in some way, right? Okay… here it goes.
The family used rabbit ears to watch the Olympics on the local NBC affiliate. Which means that I was not able to do any of the on demand programming or other NBC channels like MSNBC or USA, etc… IT was terrible. I was only able to watch the tape delayed crap that was oddly not doctored. Here is something you can do for me, tape delayed and edited prime-time US Olympics coverage… If you are going to tape delay and edit, you should get rid of some of the down time. Why am I watching a gymnast remove tape from her hands after her uneven bars routine when there is someone doing the vault at the same time? Why? You suck, that’s why.
1. The Olympics only continue support of the idea of artificial boundaries in a world that is shrinking toward a global community. Is it time to just showcase the athletes and forget about flags?
Nope, even though there is a greater sense of global community it is good to have a healthy sense of national pride.
2. Give me one good reason why the arts shouldn’t be reintroduced into the events.
One good reason? Hmmm… The issue is that art is incredibly subjective in a way that it wasn’t in the 1800’s.
3. When the aliens land, will they be invited to join in the competition, or will this be an earth-only event?
They will initially be left out, but eventually they will able to enter into contests that they cannot possibly win.
4. Where would you like to see the Olympics held?
Louisville, KY… close enough to go to, but far enough away to not feel the negative effects. Suck it Chicago
5. (Visual) Can you redesign the Olympic flag so it better reflects the modern era?
6. What’s your favorite Olympic Event/Why?
I love fencing. I fenced epee in college and I love the sport… even though it is a terrible sport to watch.
7. What event do you not consider a Sport?
The listing of events currently is pretty good. I would say the modern pentathlon if I had to choose though.
8. Ryan Lochte, asshat or asshat? More villainous, Lochte or well, he pretty much takes that one in a runaway. So, Tonya Harding and Ryan Lochte - who is worse?
Lochte is an asshat who is worse than Tonya Harding. Tonya Harding, most likely did not want Jeff Gillooly to take out Kerrigan… Lochte orchestrated.
9. Skateboarding soon in the Olympics good/bad/indifferent?
Good… the x-games is slowly being subsumed by the Olympics. X-games are no longer x-treme, they are now just a sport. That is kind of funny.
10. Usain Bolt, honorary member of the Justice League (not really a question, just sayin’)
Nope. I don’t think that, even though he is peak humanly fast, he is not Justice League fast.
11. How much of the Olympics did you watch?
I tried to get as much in as possible, but we were on vacation for a good portion of the events. I would say the days we were at home I saw at least an hour or two a day.
12. Were your kids into it? What are their favorite events?
The kids were into it. Little Man watched the swimming voraciously and Q wanted to watch the equestrian events as much as possible.
13. On a scale of 1-10, how great is this picture? (Hint: The answer is infinity. It is infinitely great).
It is pretty infinite
14. How effective is random stripping as a form of protest? (I'm asking for a friend who coaches Mongolian wrestling).
It is not effective at all, but it was very interesting.
15. Favorite Olympic moment from Rio?
Hmmmm… Brazil winning the gold for Men’s Volleyball.
16. What was the mascot for these Olympics? I never saw it.
It was a dead jaguar
17. More impressive, Phelps, Biles or Bolt?
Bolt… With a strong second to Ledecky.
18. Why has the decathlon become so unimportant? That used to be the maker of legends. Is this because of Dan and Dave. Ashton is a two- time gold medalist - that seems really under the radar.
They made a mistake with the Dan/Dave marketing campaign… and strategically that stopped people paying attention to the decathlon.
19. Do we even need these games anymore? USA always wins, who cares? The rest of us grab a few stray bronze and silver medals lying around the rowing and fencing venues.
That is very pessimistic. This was not always the case. It will not always be the case.
20. Which is more corrupt: FIFA or IOC?
I was pleasantly surprised by how well Rio 2016 went
All indicators pointed to it being a disaster
Way to go Brasil!
Interview is ready to publish next week
It is a great one
I loved it
You will love it too
I hereby decree that you will love next week’s post
Did you like today’s?
No really? Didja?
Congrats to all the Olympic competitors
And congrats to the Olympic competitors who got rid of the Olympic Village condom surplus
Well done athletes
Have a great week everyone