Ah, the beginning of the year, when everyone makes resolutions. They are little white lies we tell ourselves to try and make our years better than the last. Most resolutions don’t make it past January… so they are a fun exercise in futility. Needless to say, this week’s topic is “Resolutions.” So thanks to pfmDesigner, Chris Ring, Steev, Nikki, St Pierre, the Wife, KG, Bruce, Peter Parker (not the Amazing Spider-Man), Laurie, Sandy, and Matt 2.0.
onto the questions:
1. How do you normally help friends stick to their resolutions?
I believe that I assist my friend in their various resolution endeavors by mercilessly mocking them. Shit up. It is helpful.
2. What is the most unrealistic, agonizingly moronic resolution you’ve ever heard?
That I said out loud and not wordlessly in my head? Hmmm… lose 50 lbs... that is a fools errand. It is great if someone actually does that, but it is unrealistic that the change in the year can cause someone to get the resolve to carry that one through. More power to those that can and do that, but they are the anomolies.
3. Set a New Year’s Resolution for the POTUS.
Fewer drone strikes.
4. Set a New Year’s Resolution for the Putin.
Leave the Crimea alone and try to diversify your failing economy
5. Set a New Year’s Resolution for the Wife.
I will not fall into that trap. No-Siree-Bob, you can not trick me that way.
6. Best way to stick to a resolution?
Make them incremental and vague.
7. "Revenge on my enemies" good resolution or waste of time?
Waste of time. All resolutions should center on yourself, you are the only one that you can actually control. If revenge is delivered, that is a happy side effect.
8. Winter makes it tough on some resolutions, wouldn't it be better to have the New Year start in Spring?
I am all for this… but in many ways it does make sense to have it where we do… Honestly the calendar should be one dozen 30 day months with a 5 day new years celebration between December and January.
9. Resolution & Revolution, is there a connection? . . . I'm too lazy to look it up.
Not that I can think of. I too am too lazy to look it up.
10. Most resolutions are torpedoed by . . . ?
Unrealistic expectations. You cannot realistically alter 7 different aspects of yourself in a short amount of time.
11. What resolution do you prefer? I’m more of a 300 dpi guy myself
For online stuff I scan at 300 dpi for non-forum posts, but I go with 100 dpi for forum posts, so they load super-quick.
12. The Romans began each year by making promises (resolutions) to the god Janus, who is usually depicted as having two faces. Abigail and Brittany Hensel are also one person with two faces. In 1996 they appeared on the Oprah Winfrey show. The final episode of that show aired on May 25th, 2011 which was exactly 34 years after Star Wars was released. What did you think of the trailer for the new Star Wars film?
I thought the trailer did some amazing things this time around. First guy who pops up is not white… an amazing amount of practical effects and I think this will be a fun ride. JJ Abrams did some things to make this clearly a different Star Wars look and feel than the prequels.
13. Are you resolving to spend more time on that soul sucking treadmill? (If so, you may owe us a warning.)
I hate that thing, but I know that I need to get back on it this year. Unfortunately I will need to actually schedule the time for it because life is ratcheting up the hectic at the moment. I would not say that this is as much a resolution as much as it is a necessity. I am old and my body is falling apart. More maintenance is absolutely necessity, not a resolution or dream. I am scheduling this stuff. So get ready for some vitriol.
14. Have you ever used the word "resolution" in any other non new-year-holiday scenario?
When dealing with digital graphics, yes… a whole heckuva lot.
15. Except for in relation to the new year, I get resolutions and proclamations confused. Can you explain the difference by making one resolution and one proclamation that are mutually exclusive?
A resolution feels like setting an intention whereas a proclamation seems like a statement. I hereby resolve to be more snarky to my fellow man… ie not to Tim, he is a jackass. I proclaim this to be Snark Day 2015!
16. When/how did the tradition of "new year's resolutions" start?
The research I saw pointed to the Roman times and the promises to Janus as stated in Question 12… the real question is did I look any further than Question 12 for that answer? The answer may astound you…. That’s right I added link bait on Question 16. I am NOT good at this.
17. Are you gonna touch it? how much?
If by “it” you mean my drawing pencil, then the answer is I want to get 250 sketches done this year.
18. How long did it take before you broke your New Years resolution?
I always make one that I immediately break.. so I would say milliseconds.
19. Why make resolutions on 1/1 rather than mid-year? Or better yet Earth Day:)
I think one can resolve to do something at any time they wish. If you wish to make resolutions on July 3rd, do it. Earth Day, Summer Solstice, Valentines, whatever. That is up to you. Resolutions are typically associated with New Year’s because of the label “New Year’s Resolutions.”
20. Do you have any resolutions regarding omelets, or any dairy products at all? What are your thoughts on cheese?
I am not a huge fan of cheese (as evidenced by the post I made almost 10 years ago to the day), but I do love me a good omelet. Editor's note... Holy crap that post is 10 years old...
I resolve to:
Drink more water than last year
Find some more vegetable side dishes, for I tire of asparagus pee
Finish this UXD Degree and go to the graduation ceremony in May
Get a new job
That is about it for the resolutions
I have some goals I want to hit, but those aren’t resolutions
The wife is in Tempe, Arizona right now
It is 15° F here and will be a solid 5° F in the morning
It is 63 ° F there right now with a low of 45 ° F in the morning
and on top of all that, she likes her job
Well-played, Wife, well-played
I had to use my portable car battery thingy to start my car this morning
I will need to use it tomorrow as well
Beats the hell out of jumping the car though
It is late, and I have some stuff around to the house to do
It turns out that the dishwasher we got has some “issues” with it
So I need to put some dishes away and then do some more before bed
Have a great week everyone