As everyone knows, Christmas was on Sunday. For our big gifts to each other the wife got a king sized mattress from Casper.com and I got a dishwasher to replace the shitty one we got far too recently to be getting a replacement. Anyway... after the morning of unwrappening was over, there was an amazing proliferation of box detritus and a wealth of discarded wrapping paper. It made me think of the whole idea of Christmas Aftermath… There is an unspoken horror that is the clean up after Christmas Morning.
1. How soon is too soon to take down the tree without being a Grinch?
Christmas Day is a bit early, but other than that no one can really call you a Grinch. People have lives, yo. Sometimes you have to clean up things when you can.
2. How late is too late to leave up outside lights without being That Asshole Neighbor?
Depends if you leave them on or not. If on? January 13th is the arbitrary date I state, and if off (and they are not icicle lights on the eaves of your house) leave them up all year. Who am I to judge, I threw out our rotten jack-o-lanterns the week of Thanksgiving.
3. Thank you cards/letters for gifts? And how soon to send them?
Nope, Christmas happens too often to get thank you cards. If you were to send them they should go out by that arbitrary January 13th date.
4. Recycle or just put in the garbage all of the rapping, ribbons, bows, and packaging?
Recycle, my kids are going to have to live on this rock.
5. Is re-gifting ok?
Depends on many different things. Regifting a shit gift is not. Regifting a quality gift that does not match with your lifestyle to someone that it would… that could work. If you are going to err on a side, err on the side of caution and don't regift.
6. Have you ever refused a gift for any reason?
7. Are the "12 days of Christmas" days leading up to Christmas day or do they start on Christmas day and follow?
They lead to the day of Epiphany which is 12 days after Christmas. Shit ton of birds, yo.
8. Boxing Day?
Not sure what I’d celebrate seeing as how I am neither a bank worker or a delivery man and I do not expect a Christmas Box.
9. Day after Christmas shopping &/or returns?
Nope, I stay away from retail as much as I can the week after Christmas.
10. Why oh why do people think it's wise to try and return/exchange an item the day after Christmas when the lines are forever long and people are craziest?
Sometimes people have limited time off and need to return some gifts. Don’t judge, just stay out of the way.
11. Are you glad it is over...or are you let down?
Did you just asked me if I am glad it’s done or did it suck? Those are not mutually exclusive categories. I could be glad its done and it could have sucked at the same time. I think your question shows a bias towards not liking the holiday. I cannot say that I am happy it is over, because I enjoyed it, and I cannot say that it let me down, because it was a good Christmas.
12. Did you eat too much?
Yes… too much Christmas Lemon Tart and no bake white chocolate peanut butter clusters. Way too many of all of that.
13. Did you make fun of your MIL? And why?
Yes, we all made fun of her because it is how we show love. She should know that by now, unless her thinking has become really unclear as of late. There are indications that her think melon may no longer be ripe though.
14. After the euphoria of opening gifts, which one is the most useful in your day-to-day life?
Other than the bed and the dishwasher? I got some really nice underwear and socks, but I think the shoes I got will win out for most useful.
15. Are the kids still holding onto the Santa thing?
One is, one isn’t… you can decide which is which.
16. What is the worst part about cleaning up after the “opening”?
Getting all the boxes taken care of. They are such a painful problem… sometimes it takes a whole lot of effort to get them broken down enough to easily transport to the recycling.
17. How longs does it take you to come down from the Christmas high? You kids?
1 day for me, but the kids? about 10 minutes… then it is all “What have you done for me lately?” and “I’m hungry.”
18. How many of the kids’ gifts will be played with in 3 weeks time?
19. What is the worst thing about the Christmas Aftermath?
Dismantling the tree and putting the decorations away
20. What is the best thing about the Christmas Aftermath?
Getting the house back to normal.
I ate soooooo much lemon tart the day after Christmas
I think it will take some time to completely recover food wise
I cannot even begin to think of how long
I do see a treadmill in may future though
My sweaty sweaty future
A great holiday was had by all
The pups at like royalty all day long
And were confused the next day and today when they were not treated to the same culinary delights
Rogue One was a tasty little movie
I need to get drawing again
Maybe a Princess Leia is in order
How about a General Leia instead?
Carrie Fisher was much more than Princess/General Leia Organa of Alderaan
So much more
She will be sorely missed
Have a great week everyone